Portugal is one of the most fascinating tourist destinations of Europe. This blog post includes the details of all the essential information required to apply for Portugal Visa from UK.
Who needs not to apply for Portugal Visa?
The below category of passport holders can travel to Portugal visa-free
- UK citizen holding a full UK passport.
- UK citizen holding BOTC (British Overseas Territories citizenship) passport.
- UK citizen holding BOC (British Overseas citizenship)passport
- UK citizen holding BPP (British protected person) passport.
Who needs a Portugal Visa?
The non-EU nationals, who reside in the UK as a student, or for work, need to get a Schengen visa to travel to Portugal.
Who can apply for a Portugal Visa from the UK?
Citizens of other countries residing in UK and planning to visit Portugal need to get a Portuguese visa to enter Portugal. It is necessary to have a UK residence permit valid for at least next three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the Schengen Area- Portugal.
In case you have a 3 month UK visa, it is mandatory to extend it for the next three more months to be eligible to apply for Portugal Schengen visa from within the UK. It is required to apply for an extension while you’re still in the UK.and before your visa expires.
You should apply for a visa via the appropriate Portuguese Embassy/Consulate/VAC in UK if:
- You are only planning to visit Portugal Schengen country.
- Your main destination is Portugal and the country you will be staying the longest.
- The first Schengen country you are visiting is Portugal.
In case you are planning to stay for more than 90 days in Portugal, it’s mandatory to apply for a residency permit instead of Portuguese Schengen visa.
Documents required to apply for Portugal Visa
Below is the list of documents required to get a Portugal Visa in UK.. No matter what is your purpose of your visit in Portugal, the below listed documents are required in all cases
- A valid passport
Make sure that:
- Your passport has been issued within the last 10 years.
- Your passport has complete two full blank pages, one page for the visa stamp and an supplementary spare page.
- Your passport should be valid for at least three (3) months after the date you leave the Schengen Area..
- A valid UK residence permit or other form of Identity Card:
- The UK residence permit must be sanctioned in the actual passport (or on a latest biometric ID card.
- The UK residence permit should be valid for at least next three more months beyond the date you plan to leave Portugal.
- Application form. The applicant should fill the application form completely and sign too.
- One passport format photo
- The photograph should have a light background, rightly colored, and exhibits full facial features. Also, the photo should be less than three months old and properly pasted on the application form.
- Applications with stapled photographs will not be entertained.
- In case applicants are unable to provide a photo due to medical reasons, they need to submit a letter stating their inability, duly signed by the Doctor or medical organization. Only in this case, they will be exempted from providing a photograph.
- Biometric fingerprint data and a digital photograph.
- Children under the age of 12 are exempted from giving fingerprints.
- Cover letter: The cover letter should explain the purpose of the visit to Portugal.
- Proof of travel arrangements: The proof of intended transport like Round trip flight tickets, travel reservations and complete itinerary of your Portugal visit.
- Schengen Travel Insurance. The travel insurance with the minimum coverage of € 30.000, stating that you are covered in scenarios of medical emergency not just in Portugal but in the complete Schengen zone.
- Accommodation Proof
- Proof of a hotel booking or rental agreement,
- Proof of sponsorship: Invitation from your Portuguese family member or friend with a copy of their passport.
- Accommodation proof issued by the town hall in your host’s residence.
- Proof of financial subsistence.
According to European Commission, if a foreign national wants to enter the Portugal territory , he/she needs to attest owning 40€/day at the time of applying Portugal Visa to the Portugal Embassy or Consulate. Every foreigner entering Portugal territory each time must be able to provide an amount of 75€.
Note: Foreign nationals who can show their accommodation proofs having their food covered during their Portugal stay might be completely released from paying the aforementioned amounts.
How to apply for a Portugal Visa from UK?
In order to apply for Portuguese visa, it is required to book an appointment with the Portuguese Embassy in London.
Online Portugal Visa
It’s very simple and convenient to apply for Portugal Visa online.
- The applicant is required to fill an Online Portugal Visa Application accurately and completely. You can find the Portugal Visa Application form on our site.
- The applicant is required to submit the Portugal Visa Application form and pay the entitled Portugal Visa handling fees. The submitted applications are scrutinized by the experts in order to ensure that the requisite application criteria established by the Portugal Embassy are met.
- Once scrutinized, the visa applications are processed to the Embassy in order to book Visa Appointments as per the applicant’s travel dates.
- After getting the appointment date, the applicant is required to visit (in person) at the Embassy along with all the required documents for the registration process and biometric verification
- If everything goes well, you will receive your Portugal Visa Permit and submitted passport straight in your inbox.
Processing Time of Portuguese Visa Application
Portugal Schengen visa can be applied 6 months before your travel date. The processing time depends on the applicant’s nationality which may take at least 5 days from the day of application. In case of inappropriate or missed documents, the application process may take longer. Therefore, it is advisable to provide all the necessary documents and submit applications at least three weeks before you plan on leaving the UK.
Our Visa Experts will be happy to assist you throughout the Visa Application process and will constantly update you about the application status.