9 items that fail the mobile app development
Studies show that, among all IT projects only 29% reach the stage of successful implementation. About 50% of the mobile app development hangs in the status of “Controversial” and another 19% never gets to the stage of delivery.
We have listed 9 items that disrupt the development of mobile applications.
1. The app is a new sales channel
Do you think that a mobile app is a fast and cheap way to get a new sales channel? You will be disappointed.
Track whether there is a mobile application in the search chain and when deciding whether to purchase a product. Will the buyer search for information about your product in the App Store or Google Play?
On average, users actively use about 20 applications per month. If you have a small store or product with a low frequency of purchases, consider whether there is a place in this list for your application. Will its development pay off? How many demands, sales or attends do you need to make development profitable?
For existing customers, the buying process can be more comfortable. An application with a quick product search, a responsive interface, a well-designed catalog can turn a larger number of users into buyers.
Read More Blogs:
2. Designing an application by a web designer
You can hire a great web designer, but if he doesn’t understand the features of mobile development, you’ll get an unusable interface.
Errors that designers often make when designing a mobile app:
- Do not comply with the principles of building interfaces for Android and the requirements for iOS, laying the wrong screen structure. This makes the application confusing and inconvenient to use and increases the development time.
- Does not use native elements and inappropriate animation, which also increases the time and cost of development.
- Transfer web elements to the design of mobile applications. Custom input fields, Web checkboxes and switchers will increase the development time and cost of support for different OS versions.
- They make navigation through the “hamburger menu”, which entails problems. For example, it is native to build architecture for iOS through TabBarmenu.
Indeed, bright design and relevant animation – the requirements of modernity. So if you don’t want to waste your money, work with a designer who knows the requirements of operating systems and the logic of building screens for Android and iOS.
3. Work without technical specifications
Sometimes the client instead of the correct technical specifications brings the design of 10–12 main screens, and thinks that the rest of the tasks are understandable. Alas, mobile app development companies in Bangalore can not make a good product without a detailed technical specifications.
All scenarios and conditions should be clearly specified in the terms of reference and detailed in the design. Each missing part, whether it is a script or an element condition, increases the project development time.
4. We’ll think about synchronization at the end
Bookkeeping and warehouse accounting programs, CRM and ERP, telephony and other important applications need to be built into the systems your company works with.
The difficulty is that:
- information about products, prices and customer data can be in different databases and programs;
- The data transfer structure is not suitable for a mobile application.
For example, to get data about one product you need eight queries. This results in consequences like slow data acquisition, exceeding the limit or any other heavy server load.
The mobile application is only a small part of the system:
How to build a client-server interaction from the beginning
As always, everything depends on the human factor. Often there is no communication between the mobile app developer and the IT department responsible for the client-side databases. If you postpone the issue of synchronization and do not create a competent client-server architecture, debugging the application can take a long time: from a month to a year.
Prior to the beginning of mobile development, prepare a technical task for client-server interaction. Lay the correct architecture on the server. Specify in which tables the data and query structure will be stored, which data is used most often.
Be sure to assign people responsible for the implementation of the work.
5. Smart Watch, Smart TV, Windows Phone and so on
Choosing a platform for your application, find out which one is closer to your target audience. Consider the number of devices in the region where you plan to launch, as well as the solvency of its potential customers (it is believed that the wealth of iOS users is higher than Android users). In analytics of an existing site, see which mobile platform is leading.
Read More Blogs:
You should not try to cover all platforms at once.
6. Everything should be ready in the first version!
Any tactic is good before a real clash with the enemy.
What features really will be in demand in the future application is still a big question. Therefore, to include all ideas in the first version is not the best solution. By this you increase the development time, overload the interface and postpone the “combat” product launch.
How to avoid developing unnecessary features
- Release the application in parts, iteratively. Include basic features in the first version. For example, for an online store, this could be a catalog and a product card, a purchase process, information about stores. If you want a proximity solution, a loyalty program, any other features, plan them for the next iteration.
- Test the application on real users as early as possible. Interrogate users at the design stage. The survey can be conducted among customers, employees of your office or friends. Use A / B testing of application pages.
7. Delaying app promotion
Think about promotion methods before launching the application. You need to understand how to attract users and how much it will cost.
Use available attraction channels:
- Put a link or banner on websites, tell customers about the application in the mailing list, notify subscribers in social networks.
- Attract visitors with advertising: context, advertising in app stores, banner or advertising on social networks.
- Use ASO-optimization – work with the description, keywords, title and visual design.
Using ASO, it is possible to increase the number of visitors to the application page in the market from 49 to 173 thousand per month in just two months.
8. Urgent project estimation
If you require the developer to evaluate the project “right now”, do not be surprised that in the process of creating the application, the amount and time will be tripled.
To make the correct estimate and name the actual time, the developer must carefully study the project, understand all the details, and this takes time.
Remember also that your costs will not be limited to the amount of development. When budgeting, consider the costs of:
- product development and support;
- promotion and advertising;
- cost of renting a hosting or server;
- the cost of placing in Google Play and App Store.
Read More Blogs:
9. Launch of an application without analytics
Analytics systems need to be built into the application at the development stage. Start with free systems (Google Analytics or Firebase). We recommend to introduce Google ecommerce for mobile applications online stores.
So you can follow the behavior of users and rely on the obtained indicators when releasing a new version.
Do not make these mistakes – and your application will get into those 29% of successfully implemented projects. We wish to develop popular applications to all of you!